Early art training was completed at Caulfield Institute of Technology-(Melbourne), Diploma of Graphic Design, and at Hawthorn Technical Teachers College prior to becoming a secondary art teacher for 26 years. He resigned from the Victorian Education Department in 1994 to paint full time and teach nationally.
A professional artist since 1994, Ross is recognized internationally as one of Australia’s leading painters in the watercolour medium, and also an artist with ability to paint to a high standard in each chosen media. Ross has gained a significant reputation, in recent years, especially in Europe and China, where his work has been exhibited in solo and group exhibitions.
In 2015, Ross was the invited as an ‘International Guest Artist” and teacher at Taiyuan, China. In recent years Ross has also been invited to exhibit and teach in France, Russia and throughout.
- Australian Watercolour Institute.
- Twenty Melbourne Painters Society (since 1998).
- Victorian Watercolour Society.
A leading teacher of art, Ross is known for his popular and informative workshops. He is often requested to travel throughout Australia and overseas to teach painting.
- In 2010, and 2012, he has been invited as a guest artist to exhibit works directly into the ‘Biennale Shanghai International Watercolour Exhibition’. He was one of twenty five artists worldwide to receive this honour. Ross was presented with the “Award of Excellence” at the same exhibition in 2012.
- In 2014, Ross was invited to exhibit in “The World Watermedia Exhibition” in Bangkok, Thailand (one of six Australian artists) in addition to the “Qingdao, Salon Exhibition” in China.
- Other exhibitions include the Australian Watercolour Institute exchange exhibition in Shanghai. More recently, Ross has had successful solo exhibitions in Zhuijiajiao, Shanghai,Taiyuan (China 2014-2015). By request, Ross held a successful solo exhibition in Jimo City, Qingdao China in 2016.
In many public and Council gallery collections throughout Victoria, as well as internationally: St. Sur la Mer, France; Esashi, Japan; Zhuijiajiao Art Centre, Shanghai, China; Jimo City Art Gallery [Qingdao, China].
BIBLIOGRAPHY and MEDIA
- 2010 has seen the release of his DVD film; “Summer Light in Watercolour”, produced by the U.K. Film company: APV Films and distributed world wide.
- Ross has recently featured as one of twenty four prominent international watercolour artists in the book-‘the art of watercolour’ (France).
- Ross has two hundred and forty major awards to his credit.
To view the DVD trailers click on DVD of interest in the side bar (on phones, the DVDs are shown at the bottom of the page).
View a gallery of works by Ross Paterson
Paintings for sale by Ross Paterson.
Click on each image to view a larger image.
If you wish to purchase a painting then fill in the form below.