Max studied drawing at the National Gallery School Melbourne with Ian Armstrong from 1960 to 1964.
Exhibited as one of the Seven Painters Group in Melbourne and Adelaide in the 1970s. He has had many solo exhibitions – approximately 62. These include the Victorian Artists Society, Tom Roberts Gallery, the 39Steps Gallery, David Sumner Gallery South Australia, North Shore Gallery New South Wales, JPFA, and Galleries in the UK.
Fellow of the VAS, member of the 20MPS and past Chairman, member, and Committee member of the Sherbrooke Art Society. Teaching at the VAS 1990 to 2010. Conducts several workshops throughout Australia. Teaches at the University of Southern Queensland.
Represented in private, civic, and corporate collections in Australia and Overseas.
- Modern Oil Impressionist by Ron Ranson UK
- Australian Impressionist and Realist Artists by Tom Roberts.\Artists and Galleries of Australia and New Zealand by Max Germain.
- DVDs oil and Pastel produced by APV UK.
- 90 years of the Twenty Melbourne Painters Society.
- Alice Bale Travel Scholarship 1982
- Sir Henry Royce 2012
- Victor Harbor 2002,2008, 2009,2014.
- Camberwell 2002,2003,2005.
- Maritime Prize
- VAS Artist of the year and numerous other awards.
I have chosen to follow the representational style of painting because of my strong emotional response to the effects of light, colour, atmosphere, and form. In the tradition of Australian Landscape Artists, I usually paint directly from the subject. My objective for each painting is to be able to observe, select and clarify the subject to a simple set of tonal shapes, combined with colour and draughtsmanship to capture the mood and sensitivity of the subject.
View a gallery of works by Max Wilks.