Born Carlton, Victoria.
- 1983 – 1986 Bachelor of Arts.
- 1989 Bachelor of Education.
- 1990 Study Scholarship, London
- First solo exhibition 1974.
- Over 90 solo exhibitions and group exhibitions.
Became a full-time painter 1987
- Castlemaine Regional Art Gallery and Museum.
- Bright, Vic.
- Bathurst; Grafton, NSW.
- Art Bank.
- Cadbury Schweppes.
- Camberwell Rotary Art Show: 4 Gold Medals.
- Alice Bale: Watercolour Prize.
- Maritime Award 1990.
I showed an early interest in art which led me to study plein-air (open air) oil painting with Roger Webber, Ernest Buckmaster and Lance McNeill. The raw experience of working (respectively) with them on location brought to the fore my passion for the “freedom of spontaneity” and the rigour of speedily capturing the fleeting glow and illuminating impact of subtle shifts of light across the landscape.
Herman is a tonal realist who paints in impressionist style. He paints in oils, watercolour, and acrylic media.
To view DVD trailers, click on DVD of interest in the side bar (on phones, the DVDs are shown at the bottom of the page).
View a gallery of works by Herman: