Born in London, UK in 1958.
- Art studies with Ron Crawford, Alan Martin and Sir William Dargie
- Bachelor of Education, Painting (Visual Arts) at Melbourne University
- European study tour, 1982
- Leveson Gallery, Carlton in 1983 and 1984
- The Elgin Gallery, Carlton from 1985 to 1994
- Guest artist, Camberwell Rotary Art Show in 1992 and 1996
- Victorian Artists Society Galleries, 1995 – 2004
- Kew Gallery, 1997, 1999, 2001
- Without Pier Gallery, Sandringham, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Jenny Pihan Fine Art Gallery, annually 2003 – 2019
- Eaglesnest Gallery, Aireys Inlet 2019 and 2020
- Peter has also participated in numerous group exhibitions
- Member of the Victorian Artists Society.
- Member of the Twenty Melbourne Painters Society Inc.
- Camberwell Rotary Art Show Judging Panel, 2002
- Victor Harbour Art Show, Judge, 2010
- Mount Waverley Art Show, Judge, 2010
- Hamilton Rotary Art Show, Judge, 2013
- Bayside Art Show, Brighton Rotary, Judge, 2014
- Currently teaches from home studio and at
- Doncaster-Templestowe Art Society as well as conducting workshops and plein air paint-aways.
Private and corporate collections in Australia, England, America, Japan and Europe.
- “90 Years of the Twenty Melbourne Painters Society” 2008 TMPS
- “Mavericks and Masters” Centenary of the Twenty Melbourne Painters Society 1918 – 2018 TMPS.
- Norwich Award (Camberwell Rotary Art Show), 1992, 1994 and 1995
- Kew Rotary Art Show, 1982
- Box Hill Rotary Art Show, 1996
- Mount Waverley Art Show, 1998
- Inaugural Streeton “Longacres” Award, 1999
- Mildura Art Show, 2001
- Victorian Artists Society – Maritime Exhibition Award, 2010
- Sir Arthur Streeton Award, Sherbrooke Art Society, 2010 and 2012
- Arthur Streeton & Tom Roberts Awards, Sherbrooke Art Society, 2016
View a gallery of works by Peter Smales.