Born in Broken Hill NSW, now residing in Melbourne.
- Studied drawing and painting at the South Australian School of Art, North
- Adelaide. 1968 -1972.
Industrial Design at the Institute of Technology in Adelaide 1968 – 1972.
- Kensington Galleries, Adelaide 1992, 1993.
- Barry Stern Gallery, Sydney 1994.
- The Barn, McLaren Vale SA 1995.
- Hilton Hotel.
- Adelaide Casino, South Australia 1995.
- Kew Gallery Melbourne 1996.
- Delshan Gallery, Melbourne 1997.
- Ridge Street Gallery 1998, Sydney.
- Qantas First Class Lounge’s, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin and Brisbane 1998.
- Wall Street Exchange, Melbourne 1999.
- Holly Snapp Galleries.
- Venice Italy 2000 to 2004.
- The Art Lounge Sydney 2005.
- Jenny Pihan Art 2007- 2017.
27 solo exhibitions in total.
- Invited member of Concillio Europeo dell’ Arte, Venice Italy.
- Member of the Twenty Melbourne Painters Society Inc.
- Member of The Watercolour Society of Australia.
- Commissioned in London, England during 1998 to paint 2 works, one 7.5metres x 2 metres and the second 2 metres x 2 metres, both Venetian subjects, for a private residence in Belgravia.
Lectured at the Istituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia, on drawing and perspective in 2002 and 2003.
The challenge of painting en plein air suits my art language, being aware with nature and the interpretation of light.
In private, civic and corporate collections in Australia and overseas.
- “Venice Revisited” author Sandra Harris, Pavilion publisher.
- “L’Art de Aquarelle” June 2011, France.
- RAAF Art Heritage Award 1991,1994 and 2002. A national award for Aviation Art.
- Peninsular Searoad Award, Queenscliff, 1993
- Camberwell Transportation Award 1993
Kenneth Jack Award 2013 Watercolour Society of Australia, and The People’s Choice Award.
McCubbin Medal Award 2019 Box Hill, Victoria.
Gallery of works by John Orlando Birt.