Clive Sinclair was born in Melbourne 1951.
- Became interested in art and studied under John Lennox in 1973. The tuition with Lennox aroused Clive’s interest in traditional painting and tonal aspects of art, and he became a student of Max Casey.
- Having studied for 12 months Clive travelled extensively throughout Europe and in 1975 studied art in London where he developed a love of the impressionists.
- On his return to Australia Clive resumed with Max Casey for a further two years and developed a deep interest in small, delicate watercolours inspired by Hilder, Sturgess and Clarice Beckett. The evening light which they captured in their paintings and the poetic beauty of their vision influenced Clive in his own work.
- John Glover Award – Tasmania, Melbourne Savage club,.
- Victorian Artists Society, Jenny Pihan Fine Art
- Shanghai Exhibition.
- Aquaelle Galleries, Sydney.
- Melaleuca Gallery.
- Manyung Gallery
- Undine Padoms Award.
- Without Pier Gallery.
- Pollock Gallery.
- Melbourne Maritime Art Show,.
- Mingara Gallery.
- Melbourne Grammar College.
- Camberwell Rotary.
- St. Kevin’s College.
- Quadrant Gallery.
- Steps Gallery Carlton.
- Finalist in Len Fox Award 2019.
Clive is an Elected Fellow of the Victorian Artists Society Melbourne, a member of the Watercolour Society of Victoria, exhibiting member of The Twenty Melbourne Painters Society and the Australian Guild of Realist Artists. Clive teaches art throughout Melbourne and Victoria including at the Victorian Art Society, Peninsula Art Society, Hampton Community Centre, and currently teaches at the bayside suburbs of Beaumaris, Brighton Art Society and Mentone Art Group as well as workshops Interstate and Overseas.
Clive’s popular workshops/demonstrations/lectures include the Toowoomba Arts Festival, Grampians Art Festival, Low Head – Tasmania, Nhill – Duck & Jazz Festival, Launceston Art Society, Orbost Arts, Ringwood Art Society, Mitcham Art Society, Hawthorn Art Society and Chelsea Art Show plus numerous others and lecturing on Clarice Beckett Paintings and the Misty Moderns Paintings.
Clive is represented in several Corporate, Commercial and Private Collections in Australia and Overseas including the Melbourne Savage Club, Box Hill Regional Gallery Collection and the Launceston Art Society Eskleigh Collection.
- Clive has been invited to participate in several book launches including Artscape written by Gavin Fry.
- Art in Australia Vol 2, Monash University’s – A Companion to Philosophy in Australia and New Zealand.
- Manyung Gallery Art Book.
- Illustrations for children’s books including Sneaky Peek Tales written by Prue Ward.
Clive has won numerous awards over the years including Victorian Artists Society, “Victorian Artist of the year 2011” and has been included in the many Galleries/Awards:
I paint for the pure impression of capturing the light and simplicity finding joy in the wet on wet washes creating subtle impressions on the paper, movement and harmony offering me the excitement of each stroke with every mark upon the paper, often making it towards abstraction. The love of simplicity is what art and painting is for me as an artist.
View a gallery of works by Clive Sinclair.